Skip to main content

Music and its many genres.....

Hello Everyone! Welcome back to my blog (: For my next class assignment I had to choose 5 different music "movements" from a list my professor created and add one group/musician/preformer to that category, especially related to the usage of technology. Why did I choose this artist? Why did I consider their work fits with technology and electronic music in their context? ......Here goes nothing!!

GIRL POWER- An artist that deserves to be in this category is Demi Lovato. For starters, her 'Sorry Not Sorry' album was pronounced "The Ultimate Girl Power Anthem" in 2017. Her fiery, uptempo lyrics inspired women to stand up for themselves and ignore anyone who tries to bring them down. She has been in the spotlight since she started her acting career on Disney and slowly transitioned to becoming a musician later in her teenage years. During this time period, she battled with depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder and an eating disorder. After taking time off she used her famous platform and technology to become a power symbol for women all over the world. She not only make an empowering album, but also a movie discussing her troubles and that no women is alone. She also uses social media technology to post pictures of her natural body and face without makeup or photoshop to empower women further.

LATIN WORLD- An artist I would add to this is Justin Bieber. One of the reasons I want to is to see the backlash that would occur within the latin community. Justin recently released the single Despacito with latin artists Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee. The song was on the top of the music charts for weeks in the summer time. However, when Justin was asked to preform it in concert he politely declined, later releasing that he is unable to preform it live. Without the technology used in the recording process, Justin would never be considered a latin singer.

PUNK- I would add Green Day to the list of punk artists. They were formed in 1986 by lead vocalist and guitarist Billie Joe Armstrong. They were originally part of the punk scene at the DIY 924 Gilman Street club in Berkeley, California. IN 1994, their major debut Dookie became a breakout success and eventually sold over 10 million copies in the U.S. They have won Grammies and Record of the Year. Not only do they use technology to create and distribute their music but they also need an advanced technologically savvy security team during concerts. At Green Day's recent concert in Hollywood, there were 16 guards heavily policing the crowd because punk music does bring out rowdy, aggressive, moshing fans.

NINETIES- One of my favorite nineties bands would hands down have to be the Backstreet Boys. During the late nineties this band was every girls heart throb. There most famous songs include "I Want It That Way" (1999), "As Long as You Love Me" (1997),  and "Everybody" (1997). I think it is important to include them in the list because they were loved by every teenage girl growing up at the time and now are reminisced as a good part of girls' childhood music tastes.  They not only used technology to create interesting and futuristic music videos, especially "I Want It That Way" but also used technology to create shows with a bunch of special effects. Next year you gotta add Backstreet to the list!!

DUBSTEP- Although I don't listen to dubstep that often my favorite artist is Nero! Dubstep is different then other electronic music within its rhythms, bass and dark sound. Dubstep uses low-end frequencies and spatial atmospherics. Nero is a British electronic music trio that debut in August 2011 with their album Welcome Reality. They use everything from turntables, to computers to drum machines to make their music as perfect as possible. Dubstep and all music would not be possible without the use of advanced technology!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Performance Art Questions

Choose your favorite three performance artists and study how they are related. What do they have in common? My favorite three performance artists are The Guerrilla Girls, Banksy and Ana Mendieta. The Guerrilla Girls started in 1985 to fight for the underrepresentation of women artists. They used unorthodox tactics to force progress within the realm of feminism, all while wearing guerrilla masks and I love it. They made feminism seem like a glamorous club you want to be a part of. Banksy is another one of my favorite performance artists. He combines political activism, dark humor and graffiti to create works of art. He displays his art on publicly visible surfaces such as walls and self-built physical prop pieces. He does not sell any of his art or photographs. My final favorite performance artist is Ana Mendieta. Ana was a performance artist, sculptor, painter and video artist during the feminist movement. My favorite pieces by her were her Silueta Series , where she created female s

PERFORMANCE PIECE: The Art of Conversation

I am a creature of routine. Every day I eat the same breakfast, go to the same job and interact with the same people. I do not put myself “out there” and am not interested in meeting new people at this point in my life. Therefore, when I got the performance art piece project I was terrified. I tend to be the soft spoken, passive person in the back of the  classroom, so when I had to put on a performance in front of total strangers, I thought to myself absolutely not. However, it needed to be done so I did it. The Art of Conversation. In an increasingly digital world, we walk across a college campus and see absolutely no faces. Instead we are use to seeing the tops of heads, looking down at their increasing large phone screens, where everyone is in their own little digital world. The art of conversation is being lost. For my project I sought out strangers walking around The University of Tampa campus and simply introduced myself, asked how their day was and observed their physical and

Introduction

Hello, My name is Ellie and I’d like to welcome you to my blog! I’m an Advertising and Public Relations Major with a Graphic Design Minor here at the University of Tampa. I’m a junior, so as my college career is coming to a close, my goal is to work in the creative department of an advertising agency (in Boston if I can be picky) by this time next year. Other than spending time taking classes for my major, I love going to the beach (which is one of the many reasons I chose to study in Florida) and cooking (mostly Trader Joes frozen meals). I play around with photography as well and I love exercising outdoors and being healthy. Other than that, I’m spending my time here at UT saving up and building my portfolio so I can one day do freelance work and travel the world (I studied abroad for a semester in Australia and would love to one day pick up and move there…another dream of mine). As for why I’m taking Art and Technology…. well it was a requirement for my major, but the c